He Said/She Said - Erin Kelly

In the summer of 1999, Kit and Laura travel to a festival in Cornwall to see a total eclipse of the sun. Kit is an eclipse chaser; Laura has never seen one before. Young and in love, they are certain this will be the first of many they’ll share.

But in the hushed moments after the shadow passes, Laura interrupts a man and a woman. She knows that she saw something terrible. The man denies it. It is her word against his.

The victim seems grateful. Months later, she turns up on their doorstep like a lonely stray. But as her gratitude takes a twisted turn, Laura begins to wonder—did she trust the wrong person?

15 years later, Kit and Laura married are living under new names and completely off the digital grid: no Facebook, only rudimentary cell phones, not in any directories. But as the truth catches up to them, they realize they can no longer keep the past in the past.

From Erin Kelly, queen of the killer twist, He Said/She Said is a gripping tale of the lies we tell to save ourselves, the truths we cannot admit, and how far we will go to make others believe our side of the story.

I've got to say, this book did not play out at all the way I expected it too. Nonetheless, it had an intriguing plot.

And it was the plot that carried this book. I found it really hard to get into the story and to care about the characters. While I eventually became intrigued by the court case, I never really related to the characters at all. I couldn't understand their decisions and I struggled to see things from their perspective. The book mainly centres around a rape case.

Kit and Laura's love was very sweet but very intense. I appreciated it for the perspective it brought; however, they were incredibly judgemental and I found it hard to really care for them. I didn't comprehend the complete and utter terror they had, their fear to the point of crippling anxiety, even after the ultimate reveal. This could have worked with more setup or perhaps if I'd suspended my disbelief more, but while some incidents did happen, I expected a lot more horrible things to have occurred to have completely altered the way they lived their lives.

The final twist itself was pretty great, almost enough to carry the entire book, but the ending itself was incredibly strange and not really what I expected from those characters.

The most accurate portrayal in this book seemed to be of the rape case itself. I was intrigued by how all of the players were set up and by the ultimate results, which dealt with a very real world topic.

Ultimately, though this book didn't quite draw me in, plot was great and the twist was surprising, and I recommend this to those who enjoy thrillers.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.