A List of Cages - Robin Roe

When Adam Blake lands the best elective ever in his senior year, serving as an aide to the school psychologist, he thinks he's got it made. Sure, it means a lot of sitting around, which isn't easy for a guy with ADHD, but he can't complain, since he gets to spend the period texting all his friends. Then the doctor asks him to track down the troubled freshman who keeps dodging her, and Adam discovers that the boy is Julian--the foster brother he hasn't seen in five years.

Adam is ecstatic to be reunited. At first, Julian seems like the boy he once knew. He's still kind hearted. He still writes stories and loves picture books meant for little kids. But as they spend more time together, Adam realizes that Julian is keeping secrets, like where he hides during the middle of the day, and what's really going on inside his house. Adam is determined to help him, but his involvement could cost both boys their lives.

This was a heart-breaking book with two extremely different boys.

Aspects of this book were so very sad and I think Roe did a lovely job of portraying the characters, especially Julian, as they dealt with things no people should deal with. The way that Julian saw the world was very enlightening to read.

This book had just the right amount of romance. It was great that it didn't center around a relationship as that would have completely detracted from the plot, but I loved that there was a tiny minor part that was very sweet and thus satisfied my romantic side.

The ending felt a little too simplistic for all of the challenges that the boys had faced and all of the themes that the books had addressed. I wanted to see the aftermath of a very serious, if accidental action.

While I really enjoyed the relationship the two boys had, I didn't quite buy Adam--the kid is too nice and too perfect--he has very few visible flaws and just didn't seem entirely realistic. Since we got his first person perspective, I wanted to see thoughts he might have had even if he didn't take action on them.

Though there are some aspects I'd change about this book, I thought it tackled a big issue in a great way and was definitely well worth reading.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.