The Last Boy and Girl in the World - Siobhan Vivian

What if your town was sliding underwater and everyone was ordered to pack up and leave? How would you and your friends spend your last days together?

While the adults plan for the future, box up their possessions, and find new places to live, Keeley Hewitt and her friends decide to go out with a bang. There are parties in abandoned houses. Canoe races down Main Street. The goal is to make the most of every minute they still have together.

And for Keeley, that means taking one last shot at the boy she’s loved forever.

There’s a weird sort of bravery that comes from knowing there’s nothing left to lose. You might do things you normally wouldn’t. Or say things you shouldn’t. The reward almost always outweighs the risk.

Almost.

It’s the end of Aberdeen, but the beginning of Keeley’s first love story. It just might not turn out the way she thought. Because it’s not always clear what’s worth fighting for and what you should let become a memory.

This was a plot-driven story with really strong and unique characters.

Though from the introduction and the blurb I was expecting more magical realism, this was a book set completely in the real world, which disappointed me at first. Still, once I readjusted my expectations, I was able to get easily absorbed by this book; it was easy to get caught up in the flow of events and in the characters.

I loved that our main characters were different from most YA characters today. Keeley and Jesse are both pretty happy-go-lucky and concentrate more on making the people around them happy then themselves happy, which made for a really interesting dynamic later in the story. Especially in their small town setting, they stood out and made really interesting choices.

There was a friendship with three best friends that led to inevitable conflict that felt so real, and while I could see it coming and I groaned to myself, the mistakes that characters made were mistakes that I, too, could very easily make and I loved the realism. The ending in this regard really satisfied me, and I wouldn't have put the events any other way.

I would have liked a bit more development leading up to the ending as though it wasn't out of the blue, I would have liked more scenes between the main characters for me to be even more in love with them.

While I did enjoy reading this, it didn't particularly stand out from others. Still, I recommend it for a light read.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.