Will You Won't You Want Me? - Nora Zelevansky

Marjorie Plum never meant to peak in high school. She was Queen Bee. Now, 10 years later, she's lost her sparkle. At her bleakest moment, she's surprised by renewed interest from a questionable childhood crush, and the bickering with her cranky boss--at a potentially game-changing new job--grows increasingly like flirtatious banter. Suddenly, she's faced with a choice between the life she always dreamed of and one she never thought to imagine. With the help of a precocious 11-year-old tutee, who unknowingly becomes the Ghost of Marjorie Past, and a musician roommate, who looks like a pixie and talks like the Dalai Lama, Marjorie struggles with the ultimate question: Who does she want to be? Nora Zelevansky's Will You Won't You Want Me? is a funny, often surprising, novel about growing up when you are already supposed to be grown

This was so gloriously written. I am in love with Zelevansky's style and her voice, and I had a lot of fun reading this.

I was expecting a simple romance, but I was excited to get a whole lot of exploration and self-discovery as well as wit and political and social commentary. I loved the environment that the author built with separate worlds within New York and within Marjorie's younger and older self.

The characters were absolutely delectable to read about. From Belinda, an eleven-year-old with two moms who don't seem to get along, to Fred, a crazy musician roommate, I was delighted by the variety of people that Marjorie found herself falling around with.

This wasn't as much a romance as a kind of coming-of-age ten years later book, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The romantic tension was palpable, but well worth the payoff, and I loved seeing Marjorie's relationships and attractions going.

This had the feel of those high class New York City novels mixed with the naiveté of the regular person. Her exploration of the job market was depressing but realistic and again provided a lot of humour.

My favourite thing about this book truly was Zelevansky's style and how eloquently she wrote. This book mainly focused on Marjorie, but omniscient and threw in the best details about the most random of things that came as a delight and really added to the comedy of this book.

I highly recommend this for those who enjoy witty writing and women's fiction.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.