The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You - Lily Anderson

Trixie Watson has two very important goals for senior year: to finally save enough to buy the set of Dr. Who figurines at the local comic books store, and to place third in her class and knock Ben West--and his horrendous new mustache that he spent all summer growing--down to number four.

Trixie will do anything to get her name ranked over Ben's, including give up sleep and comic books--well, maybe not comic books--but definitely sleep. After all, the war of Watson v. West is as vicious as the Doctor v. Daleks and Browncoats v. Alliance combined, and it goes all the way back to the infamous monkey bars incident in the first grade. Over a decade later, it's time to declare a champion once and for all.

The war is Trixie's for the winning, until her best friend starts dating Ben's best friend and the two are unceremoniously dumped together and told to play nice. Finding common ground is odious and tooth-pullingly-painful, but Trixie and Ben's cautious truce slowly transforms into a fandom-based tentative friendship. When Trixie's best friend gets expelled for cheating and Trixie cries foul play, however, they have to choose who to believe and which side they're on--and they might not pick the same side.

Smart kids looking for good YA, rejoice! This is an absolutely fantastic book, a high school novel that doesn't fall for any of the 'popular kid' tropes but instead realistically focuses on the academic pressure that high school can put on students and on the relationships formed.

These kids actually stay up all night doing homework. They work for their standardised tests, and fight for ranking, because everything leads to college. This is real high school, where most of the population doesn't care about the cheerleaders.

I love my guilty pleasure high school books, but they're guilty pleasure because they're so petty and the characters feel juvenile and off a reality show when they care about the popular cliques and about football and who's going to be prom queen. This book, however, could have been set in my high school and had characters that felt just like me and my friends.

This isn't just a romance as there's an element of academic dishonesty and a mystery that comes up. This was a bit convoluted and I could have poked holes in the plot, but it worked well enough to serve as a vessel for the characters to grow and there were no details that caught my attention while reading, so it was fine.

One thing is revealed at the end that is completely hilarious and so perfect and made me so happy.

There are a lot of comic book references and Doctor Who references and such that I didn't get, but they added to the book in that they made it feel so real and contributed to the characters' personalities.

If you only read cheerleader books, you might not like this; however, if you've ever loved a cheerleader book and wished that it was more realistic, this is a must read. I highly recommend this for all geeks and all fans of high school books. I wasn't expecting too much from this, but it absolutely delighted me.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.