Dreaming of Antigone - Robin Bridges

"I can't ever be the blazing star that Iris was. I'm still just a cold, dark satellite orbiting a star that went super nova."

Andria's twin sister, Iris, had adoring friends, a cool boyfriend, a wicked car, and a shelf full of soccer trophies. She had everything, in fact--including a drug problem. Six months after Iris's death, Andria is trying to keep her grades, her friends, and her family from falling apart. But stargazing and books aren't enough to ward off her guilt that she--the freak with the scary illness and all-black wardrobe--is still here when Iris isn't. And then there's Alex Hammond. The boy Andria blames for Iris's death. The boy she's unwittingly started swapping lines of poetry and secrets with, even as she tries to keep hating him.

Heartwrenching, smart, and bold, Dreaming of Antigone is a story about the jagged pieces that lie beneath the surface of the most seemingly perfect life…and how they can fit together to make something wholly unexpected.

This dealt with much deeper issues than the description implied but seemed to center around a romance.

Despite dealing with some pretty serious topics, this book maintained a light feel throughout. I felt it could have delved deeper into some of the topics presented, and I felt that the ultimate cause of Iris's death was very heavily glossed over.

Nonetheless, seeing the relationship between Andria and her mother as they both dealt with challenges was interesting to watch. I felt they could have communicated more, and Andria definitely held some things back, but her mom was extremely decisive when prompted to be and seemed very confident in her decisions, quite a contrast from Andria.

I felt that the romance was a bit strange at points. Andria tries so hard to justify her feelings that it made me overthink them. It felt unnecessary and kind of forced.

There was a really cute poetry thread to the story, with characters anonymously swapping lines of verse. I appreciated being exposed to poets I hadn't previously heard of. I also did enjoy the astronomy elements.

Andria seems to take over her dead sister's place in her friend group, which was one element that really bothered me. It seemed that though she had always been friends with her two best friends, they had been Iris's friends more than hers.

Overall, I was left kind of wanting more. I didn't really take anything away from this book, thoughts were not provoked, and though it entertained me, it didn't blow my mind at all.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.