The Art of Not Breathing - Sarah Alexander

Since her twin brother, Eddie, drowned five years ago, sixteen-year-old Elsie Main has tried to remember what really happened that fateful day on the beach. One minute Eddie was there, and the next he was gone. Seventeen-year-old Tay McKenzie is a cute and mysterious boy that Elsie meets in her favorite boathouse hangout. When Tay introduces Elsie to the world of freediving, she vows to find the answers she seeks at the bottom of the sea

This book had much more mystery and depth to it than the blurb initially hinted at, but I found it hard to connect to the story.

I loved seeing Elsie learn how to dive, and seeing how she gradually learned to go deeper and explore further. The mechanics were interesting to hear, although I didn't really understand what was happening half the time. I loved that Elsie was so unique and individualistic, and how she really had her own personality.

I was less impressed by how a male lead seemed to take over a lot of the story. I will always appreciate a good romantic undertone to a story and this one definitely contributed to the plot development; however, I thought that since there was so much emphasis put on Elsie's relationship with said boy it in a way detracted from the problems she was working.

The eventual conclusion wasn't really satisfying to me in regards to Elsie's family. I felt like though the mysteries were solved and the secrets came out, they didn't really have any conclusive moment of moving forward. I had thought that Elsie might have had a few more psychological things going on, what with seeming to talk to Scott all the time, but none of this was really acknowledged.

This was a solid read, but I felt like there was something missing. Though I enjoyed Elsie, I couldn't get involved, and if not reading this to review, I probably would have put it down after a few chapters.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.