Living Single - Holly Chamberlin

From Holly Chamberlin, author of Tuscan Holiday and Summer Friends, comes a witty, insightful novel chronicling a year in one woman's quest to find love, joy--and herself. . .
At twenty, singlehood is a lifestyle choice. At thirty-two, it starts to feel like an affliction. Erin Weston has a rewarding PR career, loyal friends, and a wonderful Boston condo. But in between weekend brunches, farmers' market forays, and dinners in Cambridge and the South End, Erin can't shake the sense that something's missing. The traditional ideal--husband, house, clothing-coordinated children--once seemed too obvious, and pride in her accomplishments doesn't keep the loneliness at bay. Now, ready to venture into uncharted territory, Erin is going to claim the life she thinks she wants. And in the process, she might just figure out exactly what--and who--she really needs. .

This was full of bumbles and love. Although it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, I enjoyed it.

When I read the premise, I wasn't expecting Erin to end up spending a lot of the book with a married man. This was hard for me to really get into since it made me feel uncomfortable, and I couldn't buy into the love between them as to really buy into it, I'd have needed his involvement in this book.

Other than that, however, this was a really strong book.

I loved the characterization in particular. From her four best friends to her parents, I really felt like I knew everyone and seeing how her friends especially changed throughout the year was fun. Some of them were homosexual, some of them tried online dating, some had crazy adventures across the world, and all were a lot of fun.

Additionally, the Boston setting was great, though it felt like every month in Boston had some detriment to it. I enjoyed the use of real places and names as these really brought life to the book.

Despite all its merits, however, her dating a married man really just made me very uncomfortable, and though I'd definitely read more by this author and I thought this was well written, I didn't enjoy it as much I might have had the premise been a little different.