On the Fence - Kasie West

She's a tomboy. He's the boy next door.

With three older brothers, Charlotte Reynolds, aka Charlie, has always been more comfortable calling the shots on a basketball court than flirting with the opposite sex. So when her police officer dad demands she get a summer job to pay for the latest in a long line of speeding tickets, she's more than a little surprised to find herself working at a chichi boutique and going out with a boy who has never seen her tear it up in a pickup game. Charlie seeks late-night refuge in her backyard, talking out her problems with her neighbor and honorary fourth brother, Braden, sitting back-to-back against the fence that separates them. Braden may know her better than anyone. But there's a secret Charlie's keeping that even he hasn't figured out—she's fallen for him. Hard. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.

There was something about this book that meant that I had to stay up half the night finishing it.

West knows how to capture that butterflies-in-your-tummy, heart--in-your-mouth feeling that distinguishes this book from just another YA romance.

I loved the characters in this story, and I loved the dynamic that they facilitated. It was really fun to see how Charlie made new friends and how these people changed and interacted in various situations.

Though I know nothing about sports or makeup, I really enjoyed seeing Charlie's knowledge, new and old.

I found myself so invested that although I could predict what would happen, I simply had to keep on reading to see how it unfolded. This book gave me all the feelings.

Though this didn't present a particularly new plotline or an exciting new premise, this very neatly captured some very real feelings and in that regard, this book was extremely strong.

I highly recommend this book as a young adult romance!