Even When You Lie to Me - Jessica Alcott

Charlie, a senior, isn’t looking forward to her last year of high school. Another year of living in the shadow of her best friend, Lila. Another year of hiding behind the covers of her favorite novels. Another year of navigating her tense relationship with her perfectionist mom.
But everything changes when she meets her new English teacher. Mr. Drummond is smart. Irreverent. Funny. Hot. Everyone loves him. And Charlie thinks he’s the only one who gets her.
She also thinks she might not be the only one with a crush.
In this stunning debut, Jessica Alcott explores relationships—and their boundaries—in a way that is both searingly honest and sympathetic.

Though this book was really easy to get caught up in, it ultimately made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

I tend to like YA books because they don't have too much sex, so I don't have to waste time skimming scenes and wincing. This book was too explicit for me at some points, and I found myself cringing. I do not need to know what girls are trying to do with--well, I'll save you the scarring.

This book is about a girl crushing on her teacher. I thought I was going to be okay with that, but I was expecting a more PG, 'I'm in love with this unattainable guy' story. But this made me squirm. I wasn't okay with it. Maybe I would have enjoyed this book more if I had. I still think it's great that this topic was done, as it's a new perspective.

This book did have its moments. There was one quote I had to copy down because it was so perfect.

However, my biggest issue with this book was how cookie cutter the characters felt. I was reading this alongside another book and I kept confusing the two because the characters felt so similar. Charlie's the typical tom-boyish girl who's best friends with the extrovert who wants her to find a boyfriend. A couple of guys are total dweebs to her (likely because they find her attractive.) Her mother is always on her case to wear makeup. A guy in her class has a crush on her and she doesn't realise it. It's like there's a prescription for YA characters and it was followed here.

This was definitely easy and enjoyable to read, but ultimately made me too uncomfortable to really recommend.