Shattered - Teri Terry

Kyla’s memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost forever. She’s been slated. The government claims that she was a terrorist and they are giving her a second chance—if she plays by their rules. But scenes from the past haunt her as she tries to adjust to a new life, family, and school, leaving her unsettled. Who is she really? And if only criminals are meant to be slated, why are so many other teens disappearing? As she and her friend Ben seek answers, Kyla is torn between the need to know more and her instinct for self-preservation.

These books. Oh my soul. These books. Book hangover alert. All my yeses. What even was this. I'm still not quite complete.

This trilogy hurt my soul in the most delectable way. It's a very good thing I started these on a weekend with few plans because I read the three in less than thirty hours. They were delectable. Delicious. Scrumdidliumptious.

First of all, the concept. I loved the way I was able to experience the world alongside Kyla, and how I needed very little exposition because I was discovering everything alongside her. This was a very real story, and felt like something that could actually happen. It was easily to visualize, and I thought it was brilliant how Terry handled modern technologies, or the lack thereof--for instance, as cell phones were banned for people under the age of 21, at no point did I wonder why they were so dumb as to not use them.

The plot was exquisitely put together. At the end, all of my questions and all of the unsolved mysteries were tied together neatly and a bow was left for me. Maybe I was reading too rapidly to find plotholes, but there was nothing that stood out to me as being out of line or unsolved. I was really impressed by the intricacies webbed, and how small details from the first book came back to be solved in the third. There was even a really intense and fascinating psychological element to it all.

This trilogy was also unpredictable. At no point was I absolutely certain how everything would end. And when I did figure out what was going to happen in the coming scenes, my roommate thought I was crazy because I kept punching my pillow. So there's that. As Terry kept me on my toes, I had no clue if the ending would be happy or not. I had to keep turning those pages. (Seriously, thank goodness it was the weekend.)

The characters felt like people I knew. I had hunches about characters with nothing to base them on. And they turned out to be right. Because each character just had a distinct feel. I could envision them each having their own lives outside of these scenarios.

The ENDING. Okay, so I'm still angry about a certain death in the second book.(Spoiler tags aren't working. But let's say it has to do with a diving knife.) But I managed to put aside my feelings (though in all seriousness I'm probably too obsessed with a very minor character) and root for someone else and this person succeeded so it's all okay and I have warm fuzzy feelings and there were at least two scenes I reread to feel all the butterflies in my stomach. I appreciated the ultimate message behind everything, which was telling without being overly in-your-face.

Overall, I just adored this trilogy. I need to learn how to savour books instead of devouring them, but that's on me. If you like dystopias or young adult novels or anything with a really good plot or if you just like books in general or if you breathe and are human, I insist that you read these books. It'll be worth it.

Five starring this. I don't give five stars, but this gets five stars.