The Night We Said Yes - Lauren Gibaldi

A fun, romantic read, perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Susane Colasanti! What happens when Matt and Ella reunite one year after their breakup? Are second chances really possible?

Before Matt, Ella had a plan. Get over her ex-boyfriend and graduate high school—simple as that. But Matt—the cute, shy, bespectacled bass player—was never part of that plan. And neither was attending a party that was crashed by the cops just minutes after they arrived. Or spending an entire night saying "yes" to every crazy, fun thing they could think of.

But then Matt leaves town, breaking Ella's heart. And when he shows up a year later—wanting to relive the night that brought them together—Ella isn't sure whether Matt's worth a second chance. Or if re-creating the past can help them create a different future.

This book was a perfectly fine, normal book, with really, not much extraordinary to it.

I dove into this book without really reading the blurb as I tend to do when I'll probably like a book, so I had few expectations other than of the premise. I was a bit disappointed in this book as the plot didn't deliver what the title promised--there was some 'yes'ing but nothing too radical or exciting.

This story was told in alternating chapters between the past and the premise. While this made a lot of the parallels between the two nights the story covers very clear, I found that all of the chapters on the past seemed kind of irrelevant since we already knew what would happen.

I found the characters to be quite forgettable. Ella's best friend, Meg, was the one character who stood out to me--she was spunky and the conflict she had with Ella partway through felt quite real. I was honestly more curious to hear about her friendship with Jake than about Ella's relationship with Matt.

Matt had a backstory and one similar to the putting-up-walls plotline I generally find myself drawn to; however, I didn't ever feel like I cared about him too much. There were a lot of quite adorable moments that happened between them and I respect him; however, I couldn't really bring myself to like him.

In concept, this book was fantastic, and while there was nothing wrong with it in reality, it was entirely forgettable.