The Half Life of Molly Pierce - Katrina Leno

A gorgeous and visceral page-turner reminiscent of the film Memento, The Half Life of Molly Pierce is perfect for fans of Gabrielle Zevin's Elsewhere and Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall.

For all of her seventeen years, Molly feels like she's missed bits and pieces of her life. Now she's figuring out why. Now she's remembering her own secrets. And in doing so, Molly uncovers the separate life she seems to have led . . . and the love that she can't let go.

This was a fascinating look into the human mind and into an intriguing mystery.

Molly's relationship with Lyle, and later, Sayer, was intriguing. I enjoyed how a mystery was presented to us with very few outside clues or any context for us to really understand. Because of this, we really discover chains of events as Molly did.

I'm honestly still a little confused about Mabel's experiences and the way she went about sharing these with Molly. I'd like to know more details about her and how Molly felt hearing about these experiences. I'd also like to know more about Molly's friends and how they came to know a lot of what they knew. I feel like the ending was almost too easily resolved. Was Lyle the trigger for everything leading up to the ending? I'm not sure, but I don't really buy it.

Alex also didn't feel quite real. I'm not sure what he really thought would happen, and again, what was going to trigger this. I feel like there were probably a lot of malpractice laws he might have run into. However, I did appreciate that he was a character Molly could rely on; his type isn't common in most books of this nature.

I really appreciated the way this book portrayed depression and suicidal tendencies. Though it was a section that came late into the book, it was very well crafted and resonated strongly with me.

Maybe the blurb shouldn't have compared it to two of my all time favourite books, because that set me up for disappointment.

This wasn't the most exciting book, but it kept me riveted and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys mind games or stories of mental illnesses.