Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud account of a year in the life of a thirty-something Singleton on a permanent doomed quest for self-improvement. Caught between the joys of Singleton fun, and the fear of dying alone and being found three weeks later half eaten by an Alsatian; tortured by Smug Married friends asking, "How's your love life?" with lascivious, yet patronizing leers, Bridget resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult and learn to program the VCR. With a blend of flighty charm, existential gloom, and endearing self-deprecation, Bridget Jones's Diary has touched a raw nerve with millions of readers the world round. Read it and laugh—before you cry, "Bridget Jones is me!"

This was a beautiful example of how to write a really solid chick flick. I adored this book and laughed out loud quite a bit. I haven't seen the movie, so I wasn't influenced at all by this.

As this was told as a diary, this had entries for most days, all of which begun with Bridget's weight, the amount of alcoholic units she'd consumed, the amount of cigarettes she'd smoked, and in some entries, how many lotto tickets she'd bought. I loved this because of her own self-deprecating or unrealistic comments on these.

Her voice is so real and I loved seeing her thoughts about her interactions with her colleagues, her friends, and people she dates. I especially loved the commentary on Singletondom and how married people constantly inquired as to her love life. I'm thankfully not old enough to have hit that point yet, but I still found this immensely relatable.

I was confused about Bridget's relationship with Simon, but so was she and that was fun. I was confused about some of her friends' relationships with other people, but so were they, and watching them try to interpret signals from significant others was absolutely hilarious.

This was similar to a Princess Diaries book written by Sophie Kinsella, and it was absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a good chick flick to kill time with.