Geek Girl - Holly Smale

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.
As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.
And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?

Though this book was solid and an enjoyable read, it didn't quite live up to the hype that I was expecting with it.

This was very easy to read and entertained me for a few hours of an all-nighter at an airport, but it did feel very young and didn't captivate me very highly.

I think that one of the main problems I had with this book was in how modelling was portrayed. Harriet is a geek girl, and I didn't like that she felt she had to change in order to fit in. Though it's become a little cliche, I enjoy when the outcast realises she's comfortable in her own skin. Modelling is portrayed as something that will save her and make her fit in, when really, if those girls at her school didn't want to be her friend to begin with, they're not worth her time.

While it's cute that the girl who wasn't looking for a modelling contract got one, the entire process wasn't realistic at all. I felt really bad for her best friend, Nat; although she was very supportive of Harriet, the poor girl had dreamed of being a model all of her life and it really wasn't fair to her that Harriet, who had always seemed to scoff at this dream, was suddenly realising it.

Toby's character was probably my favourite--he was Harriet's self-proclaimed stalker and provided a lot of comic relief, especially compared to Nick, who was just a pretty face with little substance.

Harriet has a very young voice, and I recommend this for young teenagers. There was definitely nothing bad about this book, but I didn't love it.