Summer Boys - Hailey Abbott

From the creators of GOSSIP GIRL comes a fresh, edgy take on teenage romance. Three interconnected stories explore the different stages of love over the course of one summer on the seashore.
It's summer. It's hot. And it's time to hook up.
Cousins Ella, Beth, and Jamie are at their family's beach house, and they're gearing up for the wildest time of their lives. Sassy Ella is majorly crushing on a cute older boy -- who just happens to be her sister's new boyfriend. Meanwhile, practical Beth is surprised when she finds herself falling for her best friend George. And shy, creative Jamie gets her heart broken when her summer love abandons her.
Three girls, too many boys, and some seriously stormy romances...it all adds up to one unforgettable summer.

I was excited for a light hearted summer read, but instead this felt like it ended up trying too hard to be deeper than what it was.

There was a whole cast of characters, the summer girls, who all felt like they had been designed in an attempt to have very distinct personalities. However, while there were characters that were unique within the book--the partier, the one with the best friend, the one in a steady relationship, the sister--they all felt like characters that I'd read about in countless other books.

As the cast was all rather forgettable and the chapters were told alternately, it was hard for me to really get invested in any particular storyline or character. Beth and her best friend, George, were probably the only pair I cared about remotely. And even then I was too frustrated with them to really care.

At the end, I wasn't sure if anything of significance had even really happened or if anyone had even grown from the experiences they had. This ultimately felt like a collection of stories that could have taken up three paragraphs each in the summer edition of a teen magazine.

This was very predictable and felt like it had been done before. I probably should have lowered my expectations in reading this, but I read some total chick flicks and still find them entertaining--this was barely worth my time.

The plot, the characters, and the location were all absolutely interchangeable and nothing remarkable. This is a book that will pass time and I did finish it, there are many other chick flicks I'll recommend over this one.