Attachments - Rainbow Rowell

"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . " From the award-winning author of Eleanor & Park, Fangirl, and Landline comes a hilarious and heartfelt novel about love in the workplace.

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives..

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke..

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories..

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself..

What would he say . . . ?.

I absolutely adored this book, a captivating and humorous love story.

I'd definitely read this book before, but I can't for the life of me remember when--it must have been at least five years ago--which surprised me as I had thought Eleanor and Park was the first Rowell book I had read. Thankfully, I couldn't remember the plot for the life of me so reading it this time was like reading it anew.

This story is told in mostly alternating chapters, half email exchanges between friends Jennifer and Beth who write and edit for a newspaper, and half about Lincoln, an IT guy for the paper. One of Lincoln's jobs is to monitor filtered emails, and as such, he begins reading some of their exchanges.

The characters in this book were all incredibly thought out and I could feel the backstory in each one. I was as curious to learn about Doris, the vending machine lady, as I was about Chris, Beth's boyfriend. I almost felt like they could have their own mini books and I wouldn't have become bored.

I loved seeing Lincoln, Beth, and Jennifer change as the story progressed and I loved that the emails made it easy to see how time had passed. There were some lessons learned about love and relationships and it all felt so real.

There was something a little bit meta about this book as it made fun of romantic comedies and then contained some of the same tropes, but this was very clever and I enjoyed it.

This book read like one of those romcoms that's good to the extent that you forget it's a romcom. This book had me smiling and laughing, yet was realistic and didn't feel at all contrived. I highly recommend this.