Everything You and I Could Have Been If We Weren't You and I - Albert Espinosa

This book was absolutely delightful--sweet and heartening with some gorgeous elements and vaguely reminiscent of The Celestine Prophecy.

There were three main premises going on. Firstly, people are able to give up the ability to sleep by taking one costly injection. Secondly, a stranger, possibly from another planet, has arrived. Thirdly, our main character has a gift. Also, there's a girl he has some sort of connection to. All of these premises individually would have hooked me, so I was a little overwhelmed in the first pages when I saw how much was going on.

I would have liked Espinosa to have delved deeper into each premise and to have explored each more as I thought they all were very important and extremely fascinating. As it was, there was one plot--one chain of events--and enough detail was given to explain the execution of these events.

I loved the idea of the narrator's gift. I won't delve into that so as not to spoil it, but the way he interacted with it and its concept was beautiful. At the heart of this book seemed to be ultimately the relationship between a parent and a child, and how the narrator's mother had had such a huge role over him.

Additionally, I loved the portrayal of childhood, sex, and death as being three human experiences and I loved seeing the narrator trying to paint them and capture them in a canvas.

Originally written in Spanish and set in Spain, this translation was strong and I loved the imagery of Spain and its plazas we received. Though I do wish we'd seen more of how people not sleeping was influencing the world, it was exciting to read the details that were included and to see how life was bustling about still.

This was very short and sweet but philosophical and worth reading.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.