Fractured - Catherine McKenzie

Welcome, neighbor!

Julie Prentice and her family move across the country to the idyllic Mount Adams district of Cincinnati, hoping to evade the stalker who’s been terrorizing them ever since the publication of her bestselling novel, The Murder Game. Since Julie doesn’t know anyone in her new town, when she meets her neighbor John Dunbar, their instant connection brings measured hope for a new beginning. But she never imagines that a simple, benign conversation with him could set her life spinning so far off course.

We know where you live.…

After a series of misunderstandings, Julie and her family become the target of increasingly unsettling harassment. Has Julie’s stalker found her, or are her neighbors out to get her, too? As tension in the neighborhood rises, new friends turn into enemies, and the results are deadly.

I finished this book several days ago and am still reeling from the complete suspense it kept me in. I kept finishing chapters simply to get immensely frustrated at still not solving the mystery, and absolutely could not put this book down.

I really enjoyed how carefully drawn the neighbourhood that Julie moved to was. I felt as though the characters I saw could be people I would find in the town where I grew up, and though I almost would have liked them to have been more cariacatural, I enjoyed how one member of the area really took things over the top.

Characters in general were exceptionally well drawn and I felt like I had a feel for even the more minor characters. I liked that they had their strengths and their weaknesses. I liked that they had their own interests and how they demonstrated these. I liked that there were a lot of children that also had their own personalities and tropes.

But this book's strength comes from the suspense. The ultimate revelation of the mystery honestly was rather lackluster after the entire buildup, yet that didn't take away from how much I enjoyed the buildup to the revelation. The contrast between the characters in the past and the present, and how their desires had changed, too, was incredibly strong.

I could not put this book down, and I highly recommend this to anyone who loves to be sucked into a gripping story.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.