Cure for the Common Breakup - Beth Kendrick

Flight attendant Summer Benson lives by two rules: Don’t stay with the same man for too long and never stay in one place. She’s about to break rule number one by considering accepting her boyfriend’s proposal—then disaster strikes and her world is shattered in an instant.
Summer heads to Black Dog Bay, where the locals welcome her. Even Hattie Huntington, the town’s oldest, richest, and meanest resident, likes her enough to give her a job. Then there’s Dutch Jansen, the rugged, stoic mayor, who’s the opposite of her type. She probably shouldn’t be kissing him. Shedefinitely shouldn’t be falling in love.
After a lifetime of globe-trotting, Summer has finally found a home. But Hattie has old scores to settle and a hidden agenda for her newest employee. Summer finds herself faced with an impossible choice: Leave Black Dog Bay behind forever, or stay with the ones she loves and cost them everything....

This was a really cute romance about a flight attendant staying in one place and finding a home.

I enjoyed that Summer was a flight attendant--this could be a really fun premise and I'm surprised it's not a more common trope. At the beginning, she's in a plane accident which causes her and her boyfriend of the time to really take another look at life.

The town of Black Dog Bay was fantastically imagined. The bar is the Whinery; the boutique is Retail Therapy; and so forth. It was all very clever and I feel like it should be an actual place as I can imagine a lot of people wanting to go there.

I enjoyed how Summer communicated with her best friend from before Black Dog and how she made friendships with the other girls in town. I was surprised there weren't many people who were also going through breakups that Summer interacted with, but I loved Hattie and Mimi and the character that the various townsfolk brought to the book.

The one thing that I found hard to buy was how Summer got her first date--with so many rebounding girls around, I thought it'd be a little bit harder. Also, it didn't seem like she really wanted to marry Aaron, so I didn't quite buy her all of a sudden needing to go to heal her broken heart--there was definitely more to her emotional state that could have

been explored.

Ingrid was my absolute favourite and I loved seeing her change and evolve alongside Summer. She was very blunt and added an interesting element to the story, something more unique than a child.

This book drew me in and captivated me completely, and as such I recommend it for a great escape and for optimistic light reading.