Off the Page - Samantha van Leer, Jodi Picoult

Delilah and Oliver shouldn’t be together. But they are together. And just as they’re getting used to the possibility that happily ever after may really, truly be theirs, the universe sends them a message they can’t ignore: they won’t be allowed to rewrite their story.
Delilah and Oliver must decide how much they’re willing to risk for love and what it takes to have a happy ending in a world where the greatest adventures happen off the page.

This book had a lot of really sweet moments and strong lessons to it, though I found it to be slow at points.

This is a companion novel quite obviously and though it did indeed read fine by itself, it was rather apparent that there was a novel before this, and at points I felt like I would have benefited from reading the prior novel. I'd classify it more as a sequel than a companion.

Of all things, I found it a struggle to really believe Delilah and Oliver's relationship. They're in high school, even if Oliver's lived forever, and are completely infatuated. Delilah does have moments where she worries about what will happen when Oliver accustoms to real life, but their romance is still too comfortable. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had read the prior book.

I wasn't too fond of having multiple narrators here. At points it felt a little tacky, like more of a trope than a benefit to the book. I did enjoy having Oliver's perspective and feeling how strange the world was to him, and I feel like Delilah was the main character, but Edgar definitely felt secondary and reading his perspective didn't add much.

There were out of character pieces between sections that were incredibly touching and inspiring that I'd love to quote, and these were my favourite parts of the book.

It took me a while to get through this though as the plot dimply didn't hold my attention. Though sweet, this wasn't spectacular.