Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy - Helen Fielding

Move over, Bridget Jones’s diary: She’s back, and this time she’s texting and tweeting. . .
Fourteen years after landing Mark Darcy, Bridget’s life has taken her places she never expected. But despite the new challenges of single parenting, online dating, wildly morphing dress sizes, and bafflingly complex remote controls, she is the same irrepressible and endearing soul we all remember—though her talent for embarrassing herself in hilarious ways has become dangerously amplified now that she has 752 Twitter followers. As Bridget navigates head lice epidemics, school-picnic humiliations, and cross-generational sex, she learns that life isn’t over when you start needing reading glasses—and why one should never, ever text while drunk.
Studded with witty observations about the perils and absurdities of our times, Mad About the Boy is both outrageously comic and genuinely moving. As we watch her dealing with heartbreaking loss and rediscovering love and joy, Bridget invites us to fall for her all over again.

While I didn't enjoy this Bridget Jones book as much as the previous two, it was still a fun and light-hearted read.

My biggest issue with this book was in structure. Bridget's now around 50 years old, has two kids, and is widowed. The book starts with her dating a man named Roxster, then jumps back in time a year, and then catches up to the start. This mainly confused me and in my opinion detracted.

It also took at least a quarter of the book to discover that Bridget had been widowed. This whole section I was wondering if she'd been divorced or separated or what exactly had happened, and that took away from the book.

I didn't really like Roxster, and I'm not sure why. Initially I disliked him very intensely, probably due to the way he was introduced and had replaced Bridget's dead husband (who I adored in the second book). I grew to like him a bit more when I heard about how he and Bridget met, but still, meh.

Additionally, I thought the portrayal of screenwriting in this book was inaccurate--if only the industry was that easy to get into!

Despite these flaws, the writing style of this book was fantastic and I enjoyed hearing about Bridget's antics. Her voice is just as real as it was in earlier books, and I appreciated that despite her age she was still as lovable and relatable. Her children added a new element of fun and hilarity.

I absolutely adored the use of social media in this book. Bridget learns how to work Twitter and ends up checking it obsessively and tweets some highly entertaining things, especially when drunk or frazzled or on first dates. This was a lot of fun.

Though not as strong as the other two due to structure, this was a great conclusion to the Bridget Jones trilogy.