To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han

What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them…all at once?
Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren’t love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control.

Though I didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would, it was a solid read.

My favourite aspect of this book was actually how Lara Jean was half Korean and how her, her two sisters, and their caucasian father really embraced this identity. We need diverse books, and to me it's a treat to get this perspective added in. I especially enjoyed hearing about their cooking.

The premise was set up differently than I imagined it would be, with Lara really only having feelings for one of the five boys. After the first few chapters, this part didn't play that big of a role at all, and it was more Lara Jean pretending to be in love with one guy so another will think she doesn't love him.

Really, almost as important as her love life was Lara Jean's relationship with her sisters. Margot, her seemingly perfect older sister, has just gone to college leaving Lara Jean to take care of her father and nine-year-old sister Kitty. I adored seeing their relationships change--how they fight but mature almost simultaneously.

Josh as a character really frustrated me and I found it hard in places to see why the Song girls adored him other than out of habit. Peter, on the other hand, I found sweet and I enjoyed seeing him dive into Lara Jean's family.

This book had some really funny moments and was very easy to read.