Landline: A Novel - Rainbow Rowell

Two days before they're supposed to visit his family in Omaha for Christmas, TV writer Georgie McCool tells her husband, Neal, that she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows Neal will be upset, but she doesn't expect to him to pack up the kids and go without her. That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. Is this an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . . or should it never have happened?

I adored this book and how it made me think about how love and uncertainty seem to come hand in hand while being fun and humorous.

At first, this seemed to be more about Georgie's television show. She's spent years working towards writing her own show alongside her best friend, Seth, and they finally have the opportunity to meet with a prominent producer. They just need to come up with scripts in ten days, over Christmas.

Over time, it becomes clear that Georgie cares more about her marriage than this lifelong dream, and as such, the book becomes more about her and Neal's relationship. While staying at her childhood home with her mother, step-father, and sister, Georgie then finds out that an old phone calls Neal from the past.

I loved this small premise--that instead of causing drastic changes, Georgie can implement subtle change. At one point, she mentions how if she had a time machine she'd probably just go back and cuddle with Neal, which I found especially resonant.

This was filled with humour and fun. Georgie, despite being talented, isn't very organized and doesn't always do the sensible thing, which led to fun antics. Maybe I shouldn't be amused by her pain, but it did read so well!

I also loved her little sister's relationship with the 'pizza guy,' how she ended up delivering baby pugs in a dryer, and how one of her daughters insisted upon being a cat.

This was another example of Rowell's fantastic work, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more.