Another Day - David Levithan Every Day - David Levithan

Note: This is a review of Another Day that can be applied to Every Day.

This was a really intense book, a really moving book that made me reconsider what we consider love.

Firstly, I must note that this book is a companion, meaning it can be a stand-alone! Levithan notes in his letter to the reader that he intended this book to be read by people who had never read Every Day, people who had read it a while ago, and people who had read it recently and knew every detail. I fell in the middle category. I read it over a year ago and couldn't remember anything except the premise and that I had adored it. I can't compare the two as I barely remember anything from Every Day but I do highly recommend reading one or the other.

The premise behind this pair is so intriguing that honestly even if the writing wasn't as solid as it is, I'd probably give it a couple of stars. This book is told from Rhiannon's point of view, whereas Every Day was told from A's. That is the main difference between these two, yet I think even if I'd just reread the first, I'd still have loved this.

And Levithan pulls it off so well. His writing is incredibly easy to fall into and captivated me from the first few pages. Looking at the book analytically, I don't want to like Rhiannon--there isn't much to her. However, I absolutely adore her. I can relate to her so easily, and I think that's what makes her such a strong character. Her life is very average, and in that, completely relatable. I loved the emphasis she put on having her own life and being able to spend time with her friends and continue those relationships. This sent a powerful message.

This book really emphasises what it means to be in love and what the end result of relationships are. Rhiannon had been dating her boyfriend, Justin, for over a year, but she's aware that she never knows how he'll be treating her. Her close friends all seem wary of the relationship, also. But is she settling if she's happy?

I found the boundary between love and friendship to also be immensely fascinating in this book. Reading this was particularly poignant as I am asexual and rarely if ever experience physical attraction to someone. In this, seeing how the person within a body could affect attraction, and how the outer 'shell' could cause a relationship to be friendship or more. Levithan explores these boundaries subtly but very cleverly.

I'm glad Levithan decided to have a companion novel and not a sequel, because I love the ending and all the possibilities it leaves for our imaginations.

In your lifetime, you should make sure you read at least one of this pair of novels. Levithan's put a lot of depth, some great thoughts, and a beautiful story into each. Another Day isn't out until August 25th, but you should go and read Every Day right now.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.